Every FIM professor, employee or student receives a central FIM account if required.
This FIM account complements the standard Uni account in that it allows the use of FIM-specific infrastructure offerings. For example, students and trainers can use the FIM student computer pools with a software environment that is specially adapted to the FIM training operation. For educational and research purposes, the FIM operates its own web and mail services, whose use is also based on the FIM account. At several FIM chairs and facilities, this central FIM account is also the basis for the use of the facility's own computer systems.
Each professor, staff member or student is able to create an own FIM account on the basis of the general university ZIM account. This is done via the FIM Account Management System (AMS), see instructions below.
Guests, who do not have a ZIM account, can apply for a FIM account (please indicate purpose) from Mr. Rautmann (Room 014 IM, Tel. 3013) or Mr. Schießl (Room 017 IM).
By setting up your FIM account, you agree to comply with the usage regulations for FIM IT offers.
Using the FIM Account Management System AMS, you can create and manage your FIM account by yourself at https://ams.fim.uni-passau.de. Important: This website is only accessible from devices that are integrated into the intranet of the University of Passau.
Steps to create your FIM account:
- Have your general university account at hand (recognizable by the numbers at the end): This is your master key for many IT-based services on campus.
- Open a web browser on a device that is connected to the Uni intranet. You have the following options:
- Log on to a university computer that is automatically connected to the university intranet. These are e.g. PCs in the ZIM computer pools or chair computers. FIM pool computers cannot be used for this purpose because they do not yet have a FIM account to logon.
- Connect your own device to the Uni-Intranet
- Connect the computer at home to the Uni-Intranet: Set up a VPN connection to the university network. Load and install the software for VPN usage. When establishing the connection, select "stud-ext" (students) or "pers-ext" (employees) and use your general university account for authentication.
- Connect your mobile device on campus to the intranet: Connect your device to the university WLAN. Install Eduroam to connect to the university intranet.
- Open the FIM-AMS website: https://ams.fim.uni-passau.de
- Follow the steps and set up your FIM acount yourself.
- The most common mistake when in the process of creating the FIM account is to choose an unauthorized password (for rules see below, "Password assignment").
- You will then receive the identification data of your FIM account by e-mail. If many users are using the FIM AMS at the same time, this can take a few minutes. If you receive an error message, restart the process from the beginning.
You can also perform the following further actions via the FIM AMS:
- Password reset if you have forgotten your password
- Change password
- Find out the name of your FIM account if you have forgotten it
- Change the validity period of your FIM account
Please note that your self-chosen password has to meet some rules to be accepted by the AMS:
- It must consist of at least 8 characters
- It must contain at least three characters of the following character classes: lower case, upper case, numbers, special characters
- Currently the following special characters are not allowed: "';'` =!?$*^° <>@#
- Successive characters must be different, i.e. the character string "AAA" is not allowed in the password.
You either set this password yourself when you set up your FIM account via AMS or you will receive the password after submitting your application form.
By default, the best way to change the password for the FIM account is via FIM AMS, as this is the only way to change your FIM LINUX and Windows login data synchronously.
If you change passwords directly in the operating system environments (LINUX in the shell with the passwd command, FIM Windows environments with key combination Ctrl-Alt-Del), you will lose this synchronicity.
In case you have forgotten your FIM password(s), please use the FIM AMS to reset your FIM passwords for both LINUX and Windows at the same time. Only if this does not work via AMS, you can get help from FIM IT Support in room 014 IM. Students must present their Campus Card or a valid photo ID for authentication.