|Degree awarded||Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)|
|Duration & credits||6 semesters; 180 ECTS credits|
|Starts in||April (summer semester) and October (winter semester)|
|Language of instruction||German|
Today, information technology permeates almost all areas of social and business life. Some of them even owe their existence to IT.
The Bachelor’s programme in Computer Science teaches students the principles and mathematical underpinnings of this key science. The aim of this programme is to give you the tools to work as software developers, while conveying the scientific underpinnings and enabling you to think in terms of abstract structures. You will learn to put problems of computer science into precise statements, arrive at solutions by creating suitable mathematical models and implement optimised solutions on computer systems.
Students who complete the Bachelor’s degree programme may go on to study for the Master of Science in Computer Science at the University of Passau, where they can build on their acquired knowledge and specialise in a particular field.
- A major software engineering project carried out in a team setting over a whole semester
- Individual guidance in small learning groups
- Computer Science scored first place for research among Bavarian universities in the CHE research rankings
- Integrated subject-specific English language training
- A great student experience on one of Germany's loveliest university campuses
Computer scientists are engaged in a wide and growing range of fields, as technologies continue to develop. They occupy exciting positions in the public and private sectors, e.g. in industry, commerce, insurance, financial services, consultancies, and of course, at scientific research institutions.
One possible career path is in software or hardware development at a high-technology company, where projects are typically tackled in interdisciplinary teams.
Alternatively, having graduated from this programme, you may study for a Master’s degree and potentially work towards a career in academia.
The degree programme consists of the core module Computer Science and one elective module.
The Computer Science core module comprises:
- Software Engineering and Programming
- Databases and Information Systems
- IT Security
- Technical Principles of Computer Science
- Computer Architecture and Computer Networks
- Distributed Systems
- Mathematical and theoretical foundations of computer science
You choose one of the following electives:
- Business Administration
- Applied Foreign Languages
- Psychology or another suitable course, with the approval of the Board of Examiners
Please consult the module catalogue (German) for B.Sc. Computer Science modules offered in the current semester.
You will need German language skills at level C1 CEFR or higher to study this degree programme, as that is the main language of instruction for this programme. Therefore, you will have to provide a recognised German language certificate such as DSH-2 or TestDaF 4 in all four categories, unless German was the language of instruction for your secondary school education (e.g.Abitur at a German international school) or prior tertiary education.
The University of Passau has set up a German language teaching unit, German Courses Passau, which offers a selection of preparatory language programmes tailored to the needs of international students. These range from summer courses to a full academic year and cater to learners of all levels.