Gunter Bolch, Stefan Greiner, Hermann de Meer, Kishor S. Trivedi
Hardcover, 896 pages, April 2006
- "I can recommend this book as text for a course in queuing theory or performance analysis...also an excellent research book to have on the shelf or in the library." (Technometrics, February 2007)
- "A valuable addition to the libraries of experienced practitioners, and an excellent course resource for students." (CHOICE, November 2006)
- "Thoroughly updated with new content, as well as new problems and worked examples..." (Zentralblatt MATH, April 2007)
- Performance analysis seeks to discover the information bottlenecks in a computer system, and allows the system designer to create an optimal system for a specific need.
- Starting with basic probability theory, this second edition moves to the more complicated topics of queueing networks and Markov chains, using applications and examples to illustrate key points.
- Includes updated content that has developed in the past four years.
Please see list of authors.
The following errata have been reported so far.
A Problem Solution Book containing sample solutions to all problems given in the 2nd Edition is available.
- Preface to the Second Edition
- Preface to the First Edition
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Markov Chains
- 3. Steady-State Solutions of Markov Chains
- 4. Steady-State Aggregation/Disaggregation Methods
- 5. Transient Solution of Markov Chains
- 6. Single Station Queueing Systems
- 7. Queueing Networks
- 8. Algorithms for Product-Form Networks
- 9. Approximation Algorithms for Product-Form Networks
- 10. Algorithms for Non-Product-Form Networks
- 11. Discrete-Event Simulation
- 12. Performance Analysis Tools
- 13. Applications
- Thorough revision of all chapters
- New chapter on discrete-event simulation
- Update and addition of many examples and problems
- Extension of parameter estimation methods
- New material on non-Markovian and fluid stochastic Petri nets
- Solution techniques for Markov regenerative processes
- Now (briefly) covering self-similarity, large deviation theory, diffusion approximation, hierarchical and fixed-point iterative models
- Addition of applications on current topics (e.g., wireless system performance, Internet performance, J2EE applications, Kanban systems performance)
- Update of tools chapter
- Update of bibliography